Wednesday, November 26, 2014

THANKSGIVING




As a Brit ‘Thanksgiving’ was a new experience for me as I well learned on my first invitation to my dear friends ‘The Perkins family’.

with the Perkins family at my birthday bash



It was Christmas 1967 and I must say I had no idea how celebrated this time of year was. The only reference that I had been given about this event was that the early settlers all left from Great Britain sometime in the 1600’s from a pub in Boston, for those of you who don’t know where Boston Lincolnshire is, it is on the middle to North east side of the English coast off the North Sea. These adventurous people got on a boat, hoping to reach the new land of the Americas and ended up at another pub on the other side of southwest side of England at a place called Plymouth, in the county of Devonshire. As the crew were obviously inebriated and having never been to this region before, they naturally assumed that they had reach a different land. It was then that the guys in the pub at Plymouth decided to take the boat on to the new land, hence the famous Plymouth Rock that is now referred to!



Where these crazy stories come from, old folklore, I don’t know? I've always found an element of truth in these stories, but have yet to find anything close to establishing the fact, other than that the people telling the story have had one over the top, as well as those hearing the illustrious tale.
Anyway, the fact remains that this is a magnificent way to celebrate the ‘founding fathers’, and a time where people travel great distances to be with their relatives and catch on all the latest news. I am always impressed that people take the time to make the journey to be with the people, they love, on such a vast continent. In England we celebrate Christmas in a similar way, but the distances can’t ever be compared. 


my 3 children
Not to say that Christmas is not important as well in the States, but there is something very special about this time of year, so thank you America I enjoy be a part of ‘Thanksgiving’, and as a U.S. citizen wholeheartedly celebrate the season with my family,my grandchildren and y’all !!!    



my daughter with her mother and my sister


4 of my grandchildren
me and my brother


my son and his family







David 

No comments:

Post a Comment